Monday, October 26, 2009

A Gentle Transition

The Cab Drive´s eyes spent more time glued to the radio display and his cell phone the on the road. The car sped away from the airport in Lima with a chaotic serenity. The cabbie spewed broken English much faster then he could handle. Ian and I clutched the back seat of the cab and focused on the driver to distract us from the potential accident perpetually occurring at every no-single pass and careless text message.
"I love country!!¨ The drive exclaims turning to look at the two wide eyed patrons clinging to the back of each seat. "What is your favorite type of music?" he asks us, furiously pecking at his cellphone. "I have it all." He begins to list his extensive range of music which included Kenny Chesney, Dolly Parton and Toby Keith. Even with comprehension of the language we didn´t share a common definition with meaning of "having it all".
I could only assume that the Cabbie assume we were flat out racists. Not by anything that we were doing but the cursed skin and American look on our face. Mr. Cab Driver felt it was necessary to take the long way around Lima to show us the groups of white tourists.
"See, See!" he said excitedly pointing at a group of preppy white tourists walking along the stony seaside. "I told you there were lots of Gringo´s like you." I felt much more comfortable having left my KKK mask at home as it was clearly evident just at a glance to tell I disdained diversity.
Our vehicular tour of Lima was not just limited to a comprehensive list of white hangouts. He was also inclined to highlight every attraction that we would already have available to use in the U.S. Prior this cab ride I thought I would have to experience Peruvian culture. I thought I might have to meet new people. I was was concerned I might have to experience something new. Luckily, thanks to the Cabbie, I found a way to experience Lima that would make me feel as comfortable as being in strip mall in NJ.
But alas, I will do the unexpected. I will try something new. I have vowed to super-size every meal I eat at McDonalds!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post.

    "I felt much more comfortable having left my KKK mask at home as it was clearly evident just at a glance to tell I disdained diversity." is now in my list of favorite quotes.

    Looking forward to more vicarious adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete